13th – 24th July 2019
Global Space Design Challenge is an intensive residential summer programme for students from around the world. It offers you the chance to learn from experts from industry and academia.
This is a unique and exciting science and engineering experience culminating in a challenge designed as a simulation of life in industry. As a participant you will:
- Work as a team to design a settlement in space and experience the challenges of working in a large industrial team.
- Have the chance to take your subject knowledge to the next level through a challenging academic programme that balances lectures, seminars and a high level of practical work.
- You will access professional advice and guidance around applying for university study in the UK, including tours University of Oxford, University of Cambridge and Imperial College London.
- You will receive mentoring and talks from world-class academics and industry experts.
- Meet current undergraduate students and learn about their experience of life at university.
- You will receive a certificate of achievement on completion of the course and the winning team receive medals.
- Enjoy and exciting social programme that lets you see London and explore the UK’s top universities.
How the design challenge works
At the end of the first week, teams are given a list of requirements (RFP) for a space settlement sixty years in the future, and have a day to prepare a detailed design, which they present to a panel of judges the following morning. The judges include academics, aerospace engineers and representatives from NASA.